Saturday, February 7, 2009

1st training session and some emotional stuff too...

Wow today was crazy hard!!!  First of all I had a hard time falling asleep because I was so excited.  Then I woke up at 6am, got ready and headed for Sauvie Island (a really cool place up here where they do lots of farming and u-pick fresh delicious food).  On my way there I was very overwhelmed with the feelings of why I wanted to do this.  I've been thinking about my grandpa A LOT!  His battle with cancer lasted 3 years and ended in August 2000.  This time in my life was absorbed with swimming.  I lived swimming from the moment I woke up to the dreams I had at night.  My grandpa and I corresponded as pen pals through my years at Fresno State.  I loved to here from him and he asked to hear all about me.  I didn't spend much time with him during these years....something that is really hard to admit.

The summer of 2000 for me was exciting, most of it at least.  I had qualified for the Olympic Trials that year at my conference meet in college.  I turned 21 in July.  I swam all summer long...morning and nights...training for trials, which was in the beginning of August.  My mom, sister, aunt, 2 cousins and their little ones came to cheer me on...what a surprise that was!!

Shortly after returning from that meet I had to head back up to Fresno for training for my senior year and school to start.  That is when I got a phone call I will never forget.  My mom called on the weekend and told me, "grandpa isn't doing so well" and I assured her I'd drive down the following weekend right after Saturdays workout.  She said I needed to come sooner.  I flew down to LA about 3 hours after our phone conversation and went to my Aunt Nancy and Uncle Dan's house where my grandpa was living out his last days.  He held on to say his good-byes and pass on knowledge to those he felt he needed to say something to...he was an amazing man!  

So with all that said...yeah this morning was a tough 45 minute drive to the meeting point which I pulled myself together and rode 12 miles.  I am exhausted.  It burned.  I'm out of shape! I've actually been crying while writing most of this post.  I know this journey is not just about helping raise money.  It's more then just getting in shape.  This is seriously therapeutic for me!  I have stuffed away feelings I didn't know I was holding onto about my grandpa.  I love him so much and miss him dearly.  He has made such a huge impact on my life and I'm truly so grateful that I was able to spend part of my life knowing him!  

I am so glad to have a team to train with...a team who's common goal is to help each other get better, race their best and fundraise for a fantastic cause.  I'm so excited to be a part of this experience!

Sleeping Well Tonight,
Summir
12 miles done, bike loaded up...now it's time to go home and sleep  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment